We try to have a Halloween party every year. The kids really enjoy the games. We have mummy races. Each adult has a roll of unused toilet paper. When time, the adults wrap their designated child with the paper into a mummy. The kids race down the yard and back. The first kid back wins. This year the winner was the first to bob for apples after.
The other best part of the Halloween party is the food. This year I made mummy pops since it appears mummies were my theme. I have made the cake pops before and the kids really like them.
If you plan on making theses, I have several suggestions. First, I made sure the pops were in the freezer for a little while to harden. I took out only a few at a time out of the freezer. If you take them out, the first ones come out great but the next ones will start to slide down the stick. If this happens, you can refreeze but the top of the chocolate will be flat. I did make some flat top mummies but didn't take any photos. Another suggestion, I learned not to keep the pop in the chocolate for long or it will start to slide. I had to dip the pop quickly then work the pop over the cooler counter. The pop didn't work well over the steam. Enjoy!
Mummy Cake Pops
1 cake or 12 cupcakes
1 1/2 to 2 cups of frosting
1 package of candy melts
12 lollipop sticks
1 Styrofoam block/ other way to hold the cake pops to dry
- Crumble the cake and cupcakes in a bowl.
- Stir in the cup of frosting until well mixed.
- Roll the cake into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer.
- Add water to pot with a heat proof bowl on top of the pot to make a double boiler.
- Place the candy melts in the heat proof bowl and stir until melted.
- Take a few of the cake balls from the freezer.
- Dip the lollipop sticks into the melted candy and place into the cake balls.
- Dip the cake balls into the melted candy to coat.
- Remove the cake balls and place through some Styrofoam to hold the pops.
- Once the cake pops harden a little, take a fork and dip in the melted candy.
- Dab or draw lines with the fork onto the cake pop to make the mummy wrapping lines.
- On the back of each candy eye, brush a little candy melt then stick the eye onto the cake pop.
- Stir the candy melts occasionally to prevent burning or hardening.
Did you already know.....................
-In November 1922, the Tomb of Tutankhamun was discovered by Howard Carter in the Valley of the Kings at Luxor.
-To the Egyptians, people were mummified to ensure safe passage to the afterlife.
-It took about seventy days for the mummification process.
-The heart is never removed from the body.
My children are going to be: Alice in Wonderland, Jasmine, and a Ninja.Are you dressing up or your little ones?