Monday, July 2, 2012

Bacon and Cheddar Scones

Yes, I did write bacon and cheddar scones! What a great combination for any time of day. These scones are really good. I served these scones with a salad for supper. The leftovers will probably be gone at breakfast by my oldest daughter. These scones were picked by Emily of Ruflove for this weeks Project Pastry Queen
The only difference I made to the original recipe would be I substituted chives for the green onions. I like green onions but I had chives on hand. I also grate my butter for scones in which my youngest son thought it was funny. I will admit I cheated with the bacon. I talked my oldest daughter into cooking it. My oldest daughter tells me she cooks it better than I do anyways. Since I prefer for her to continue to cook bacon for me, I will have to agree that she does an awesome job! (It is like when you want your honey to continue to do laundry so you give a lot of praise. What a great job you are doing! My whites pinks have never looked better.)
Bacon and Cheddar Scones
3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup unsalted butter, grated and chilled
2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup chives, chopped
10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1 inch pieces
3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
2 Tbsp water

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 
  2. Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl on low speed.
  3. Gradually add the butter to the mixer. Combine until the pieces are crumbly and the size of small peas.
  4. Add the grated cheese and mix until just blended.
  5. Stop the mixer and add the chives, bacon, and 3/4 cups of buttermilk.
  6. Mix by hand until the ingredients are incorporated. If the dough is still too dry add 1 Tbsp of buttermilk to the dough until the dough forms into a ball but do not over mix.
  7. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured flat surface.
  8. Pat the dough into a ball.
  9. With a floured rolling pin, flatten the dough into about an 8 inch circle that is 1/2 inch thick.
  10. Cut the dough into 8 to 10 equal wedges.
  11. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
  12. Brush each wedge of dough with the egg wash.
  13. Place the scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
  14. Bake for about 18 minutes or until golden brown. The scones should no longer be sticky in the middle.
  15. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Rebecca Rather's cookbook The Pastry Queen.
Did you already know...
-In 1797, the scrub board was invented to improve washing clothes.
-In 1851, James King patented the hand powdered drum washing machine.
-In 1874, William Blackstone built a machine that would wash dirt from clothes and then washed the dirt away. He presented the machine as a gift to his wife for her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment