Friday, March 20, 2015

Individual Scalloped Potatoes

Welcome Spring! The grass is green. The Canada geese are still here so I'm sure they are waiting to head back north. My sister showed me all the snow still on the ground so I understand why the geese want to stay a little longer down here. The other great thing about today is it is my niece's birthday! Don't worry I will call her to wish her a great first day of Spring on this wonderful birthday. Since I figured I posted cupcakes yesterday, today would be scalloped potatoes! I have made this recipe a couple of times now. My children love it. My husband request it. It is a popular dish. My husband said the recipe even sounds simpler than the box kind.
Individual Scalloped Potatoes 
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
4 large potatoes, thinly sliced

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Lightly spray 4 individual casserole dishes with nonstick cooking spray. 
  3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  4. Lower heat to low, add the flour and stir to make a roux for 1 minute.
  5. Whisk in the milk. Allow to thicken for 5 minutes.
  6. Season with salt and pepper.
  7. Stir in half the cheddar. Cook for 1 minute. 
  8. Gently, add the potatoes and coat with the mixture.
  9. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared casserole dishes.
  10. Top each dish with the remaining cheese.
  11. Bake the dishes for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Recipe adapted from Southern Food.

One year ago.............................I made Maple and Brown Sugar Cinnamon Rolls.
Two years ago...........................I made PB Oreo Brownie Cupcakes.
Three years ago.........................I made Rice Pilaf.
Did you already know............................
-Canada Geese can live to be 24 years old in the wild.
-In 24 hours, a flock of geese can fly over 1,500 miles with a nice wind current.
-Canada Geese are monogamous and lay between 2 to 9 eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment