Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Swamp Alien Soup

I asked my children if they would like to try asparagus soup. I know they like asparagus but I wasn't sure if they wanted it as their meal. To my surprise, my children said yes. Since it is the month of Halloween, I figured I should give it a cool name. My children liked it. The soup had a stronger smell than it tasted. The soup was pretty mild in taste.
Asparagus Soup aka Swamp Alien Soup
2 lbs asparagus, trimmed off the woody ends
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
1 cup evaporated 2% milk
2 tsp lemon juice
Sprinkle of Parmesan for topping

Directions:
  1. Cut the asparagus tips off and set aside.
  2. The remaining asparagus cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
  3. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
  4. Add the onion and celery. Cook for about 3 minuts.
  5. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
  6. Add the asparagus, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
  7. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes covered.
  8. In a smaller pot, bring water to a boil. Add the asparagus tips and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  9. In a blender, puree the soup in batches.
  10. Return the pureed soup to the large pot and add the evaporated milk and lemon juice. 
  11. Cook over low heat just to warm and not simmer.
  12. Serve the soup hot with the asparagus tips and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Dashrecipes.

One year ago........................I made Sauerbraten.
Two years ago.....................I made Easy Burger.
Did you already know..........
-The Ancient Greeks grew asparagus.
-Purple asparagus will turn green after being cooked. 
-White asparagus is green asparagus but grown underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment