Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Patty Melt

Sometimes on the weekend, my husband brings us out for breakfast. It is really nice. Our first date, we went to breakfast. Sometimes, we do not arrive to the restaurant until it is the borderline between the breakfast and lunch menu. Please remember we call our son Mr. Brevity for a reason.
One of the restaurants we visit have patty melts on their lunch menu. So when I asked my husband what I should make for supper, he said patty melts. I was surprised and I knew our teenager would be happy. I didn't know what constituted a patty melt. What I found out is that a patty melt is made on rye bread. It has taken me 10 years to convince my husband to eat whole wheat bread. My husband will eat whole white bread. I knew I could never get him to eat rye bread even 20 years from now.
The other thing about patty melts is the presence of caramelized onions. I hadn't realized the steps involved to make a patty melt. I actually thought it was just a hamburger on toasted bread. How wrong was I? I will admit I used a whole white bread with cheddar cheese. My husband asked for American cheese. I will say this meal was very dangerous and I will not make it often. It tasted too good. I served it with a spinach salad.

Patty Melt
8 slices of bread (rye is the preference)
4 oz. of butter, softened
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs hamburger
4 slices of cheese (swiss is the traditional selection)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Butter one side of the bread.
  3. Place the bread with the butter side up on a baking pan.
  4. Bake the bread for about 8 minutes or until the bread is toasted to the desired darkness. 
  5. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
  6. In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
  7. Add the onions and saute the onions until caramelized.
  8. Form the hamburger into patties.
  9. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the hamburgers for about 5 minutes per a side or until internal temperature reaches around 160 degrees.
  10. Once the toast has cooked, flip the bread over and add the desired cheese on top.
  11. Place the baking pan back into the oven and cook until the cheese has melted.
  12. Remove from the oven and assemble.
  13. Place the caramelized onions on top of the cheese.
  14. Add the cooked hamburger patty and top with another piece of bread with the butter side up. 
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats and Friendly's.

Did you already know........
- In 1935, the first Friendly's restaurant opened in Massachusetts.
-Two young brothers opened the ice cream shop.
-For 5 cents, the Blake brothers sold double dipped ice cream cones.
-Friendly's restaurants filed for Chapter 11 in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment