Friday, May 10, 2013

Abstract Art Sugar Cookies

When you were a kid, did you make your Mom wonderful artwork?  She thought it was a master piece and would hang it up for you. Well, I guess I never stopped wanting to make my Mom something special. So, I made her cookies with lemon extract. She loves lemon flavored desserts. I also spent some time with my kids making some art work of our own. I gave these to my Mom and she liked them.
Can you tell what I made?
Abstract Art Sugar Cookies Icing
4 Tbsp meringue powder
1/2 cup water
1 lb.powdered sugar, sifted
Food coloring gel

  1. In a large bowl, mix the meringue powder with the water.
  2. Beat the icing until foamy.
  3. Add the sifted powdered sugar to the meringue mixture.
  4. Beat on medium high for about 5 minutes or until the stiff peaks form.
  5. Divide the icing into separate bowls before adding desired colors with food coloring gel. Make sure to leave some of the icing white.
Decoration directions:
  1. To frost your cooled cookie, pipe a white border in the center of the cookie. (I used this cookie recipe.)
  2. Flood the cookie with white icing. Allow to dry for at least an hour.
  3. Once the middle white "canvas" dried, decorate the white icing with your art work. Allow to dry.
  4. Take the cookie and dip the side of the cookie into the desired color to make a border. 
  5. Carefully dip another side of the cookie into the icing and allow to dry before attempting the two other sides.
Frosting recipe adapted from Bake at 350 degrees. Make sure to check out her step by step directions or her wonderful cookies.
 
One year ago....................I made Seven Cheese Bread.
A bow, butterfly, and flower for my Mom
Did you already know......
-On May 10th, 1908, Anna Jarvis organized a Mother's Day observation in Grafton, West Virginia and Philadelphia.
-In 1914, Congress designated Mother's Day would be observed on the 2nd Sunday in May. 
-According to the U.S. Census Bureau, over 4 million woman gave birth last year.

Happy Mother's Day! I love you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment