Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup

My husband is the first person to rally against vegetables. Maybe you have seen him in our front yard with a sign shouting "No more vegetables! No more vegetables!" So, it surprises me when he kept ordering broccoli soup in restaurants the past couple of weeks. I asked him if he would just want me to make some for him. He told me it would be nice. My oldest daughter told me this is the best broccoli soup she has ever had.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 lbs. broccoli
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp butter
1 shallot (about 1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups milk (I used skim milk)
4 oz. fontina cheese, grated
8 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
4 cups chicken broth

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to broil.
  2. Arrange the broccoli on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil.
  3. Season the broccoli with salt and pepper.
  4. Broil for 5 minutes and remove. 
  5. Turn the broccoli pieces over and broil for another 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the broccoli. Set aside to cool.
  6. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
  7. Add the shallot and stir for about 1 minutes.
  8. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
  9. Whisk in the the milk.
  10. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
  11. Stir in the chicken broth and turn down the heat to low. 
  12. Add the roasted broccoli pieces and stir. 
  13. Allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
Recipe adapted from Katy's Kitchen.

One year ago.....................I made Lemon Tassies.
Did you already know...................
-Broccoli belongs to the cabbage family.
-The word broccoli derives from the Latin word (brachium) and Italian word (braccio) that means arm.
-1 cup of broccoli has the same amount of Vitamin C as 1 orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment