Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Russian Meatballs

One day I hope to watch the Olympics live. Since I have to wait, I will blog about some foods I could encounter in Russia. Now, I will admit these may not be authentic recipes since I had to adapt them to something my family would eat. My husband loved this recipe which really did surprised me. He was the least excited about trying some Russian foods. I left out the tomatoes since I wasn't sure how it would taste with a sour cream sauce.
Russian Meatballs aka Tefteli
1 cup cooked white rice
1 lb. ground chicken
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Paprika 
1/4 cup parsley
1 small onion grated
2 carrots grated
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, grated onion, and carrot.
  3. Form the meat mixture into 2 inch balls.
  4. In a large skillet, melt the olive oil and butter.
  5. Brown the meatballs. Remove the meatballs and place into a greased baking dish.
  6. Cover the meatballs with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes.
  7. Uncover the meatballs and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Recipe adapted from Let's Make Some Russian Food.

Sour Cream Sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup grated carrot
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth 

1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and carrot. Saute for 1 minute. 
  3. Sprinkle the flour and paprika on top. Stir for 1 minute.  
  4. Whisk in the chicken broth and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Stir in the sour cream and milk. Lower the temperature to simmer. Cook the sauce until it reduces to a thicker sauce.
  6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Serve the sauce over the meatballs and rice.
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.

One year ago........................I made Heath Bits PB Cookies.
Two years ago......................I made Chocolate Walnut Tart.
Did you already know...........
-Sochi is located on the coast of the Black Sea.
-Sochi has subtropical weather so warm summers with mild winters.
-In Sochi, the Olympic village will host about 6,000 athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment