Friday, October 14, 2011

Sloppy Joes

Each week, I ask what everyone wants for supper. Normally, no one besides my son has any request. My son has asked for mussels, chicken wraps, and asparagus just to name a few items. Yes, he is only 6 years old. I tell my husband he has a sophisticated palate. I guess is my husband reply.
My husband would never request asparagus or any other vegetable to be served at dinner. The other night my husband did ask for sloppy joes with barbecue sauce. I guess my husband was afraid my son would ask for stuffed artichokes next or my oldest daughter would request hamburgers again.

Since I think my children (and especially my husband) need more vegetables in their diet, I try to add extra whenever I can. My husband likes this version of Sloppy Joes. We just don't bring up the fact there are extra vegetables. Enjoy and don't forget a side of vegetables to complete the meal!
Sloppy Joes by Sweet Morris
1 large carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 mushrooms, chopped (optional if you have them on hand)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 lb. hamburger
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups of tomato sauce

Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ (I used Jack Daniels original)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard

Directions:
1.  Chop all your vegetables.
2.  Heat a deep skillet to medium heat and add the olive oil.
3.  Add the hamburger and brown. Break up the hamburger about 5 minutes.
4.  Season the brown hamburger with Worcestershire sauce with salt and pepper.
5.  Add the vegetables to the hamburger pan and cook about 5 minutes.
6.  In a bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients.
7.  Mix in the tomato sauce over the vegetables and stir.
8.  Add the sauce into the skillet.
9.  Cook the sloppy joes for about 10 minutes. You may want to cover to prevent splattering.
10. Stir the sloppy joes often.
11. Serve with bun of your choice with toppings like cheddar cheese, bacon, etc.
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.
When I make sloppy joes, my oldest daughter sometimes plays Lunch Lady Land by Adam Sandler.
I think she knows the song by heart and she always sings sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe while I'm cooking. I think any lunch lady would be proud to make these sloppy joes.

Did you already know...............................
-Adam Sandler was born in New York City and was raised in Manchester, NH.
-The Lunch Lady Land was released on the They're All Gonna Laugh at You! album in 1993.
-They’re All Gonna Laugh at You! was Adam Sandler's first comedy album. 
-The album was nominated for a Grammy and spent more than 100 weeks on the Billboard chart.
-The late comedian Chris Farley dresses as the Lunch Lady in the video. -To view the video:
Disclosure:  My great-grandmother was a lunch lady and I thought she was wonderful. Also, none of the lunch ladies I have known ever have acted or looked like Adam Sandler's version but it still is a fun video.

No comments:

Post a Comment