Thursday, November 17, 2011

Honey Yeast Rolls

I know a lot of people who will see a bee and freak out. I really understand this behavior if you are allergic to bees. I know I am not allergic to bees. How do I know?
When I was a little girl, my younger sister thought it would be cool to throw rocks at a bee hive. We all know the bees do not take kindly to this type of behavior. They swarmed after her. She took off running and ran right past me without warning me what was chasing her. Some memories from childhood will never be forgotten and I know I am not allergic to bees. I also know I do not have a reaction to red ants but that is another story.

Honey Yeast Rolls 1 (.25 oz) package of instant dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 cups bread flour
vegetable cooking spray
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp honey

Directions
  1. In a small bowl, combine the yeast and warm water.
  2. In another bowl, combine the honey, oil, salt, and egg. Mix well.
  3. Add the yeast and water to the honey bowl.
  4. Add 1 cup of flour at a time to the honey bowl and mixing well after adding the flour.
  5. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
  6. Transfer the dough into a lightly oiled bowl. Turning once to coat and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for about 2 hours.
  7. Punch down the dough and knead for 30 seconds. 
  8. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes. 
  9. Punch down the dough again and divide dough into 12 equal pieces.
  10. Shape the dough into a smooth ball.
  11. Place the balls of dough into a round greased 10 inch baking dish or place each ball of dough in a muffin tin. Let rise for 30 minutes.
  12. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  13. Combine the melted butter and honey.
  14. Brush the tops of each balls of dough with the honey butter.
  15. Bake 15-20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through.
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats.
Did you already know................
-Honey has been found sealed in Egyptian tombs and was still edible.
-Honey means "enchant" in Ancient Hebrew.
-In medieval Germany, peasants were required to pay their feudal lords in honey and beeswax. 
I added 3 small balls to one muffin tin.
I made these for Thanksgiving last year and they were a hit even with my honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment