Monday, November 21, 2011

Pancakes

When I was a teenager, I would occasionally have to watch my baby sisters. My mom would tell me that I would have to cook them supper. I knew how to cook but I didn't. I have three younger sisters. (I still tell my Mom that I am an only child.) My sister who is over a year younger than me would cook all the time. So, I didn't. When I would ask my baby sisters what they wanted for supper, they would tell me cereal. Why argue with them? Cereal is great! My kitchen always has a minimum of five different boxes of cereal at a time. 
Growing up, there was one food I really liked to cook and it was pancakes. My youngest daughter has inherited my love for pancakes. I normally do not order pancakes for breakfast if we eat out. I like my pancakes better. 
Silver Dollar Pancakes
 Pancakes

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 egg
2 Tbsp butter, melted
vegetable oil or butter to coat the skillet

Directions:
  1. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
  2. Whisk the dry ingredients.
  3. Add the buttermilk and mix just to combine.
  4. Add the egg and still a few times just to combine.
  5. Add the melted butter and mix just to combine. Don't over mix.
  6. Set the batter aside.
  7. Heat a skillet on medium to medium low heat.
  8. Add oil or butter to the skillet.
  9. Scope about 1/3 cup of batter into the pan for regular size pancakes. Scope about 1/8 cup of batter into the pan to make silver dollar pancakes.
  10. Once the batter starts to form bubbles, flip the pancake. Cook about one minute and serve.
Recipe adapted from Katy's Kitchen originally from Pastry Queen.

 Did you already know............................
-In the past, buttermilk was the liquid left over after milk was made into butter.
-Today, dairies usually adds lactic acid to low fat milk to produce buttermilk.
-Buttermilk is low in fat and calories.
-To help with digestive problems, buttermilk is said to be a better choice than milk because of the lactic acid and it is quicker to digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment