Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dulce de Leche Arborio Rice Pudding

Sometimes you make something and it comes out so good that you are surprised. This dish surprised me. I have only had rice pudding with raisins in it. So, I thought I wasn't a big fan. I loved this dish. I think this may become a staple on my Thanksgiving meal. My family liked it too.
 The rice pudding was picked by Emily of Ruf Love for The Pastry Queen Project. My youngest daughter loved the Dulce de Leche. I am lucky I had enough for this recipe. She kept trying to sneak some. She also informed everyone else in the house how great it tasted and they should try it. I had to hide it so I could use it for this recipe. I did leave out the vanilla and amaretto liqueur and still thought this recipe was wonderful. I did keep rinsing out my medium saucepan to reuse so I could save on dishes. I think saving on dishes is my ultimate domestic goal. If I only had a family member who loved to do dishes, but as of this date I have had no volunteers.
Dulce de Leche- Arborio Rice Pudding
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Arborio rice
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups low fat milk
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1/3 cup dulce de leche

Directions:
To make the dulce de leche:
  1. Take the paper wrapper from the can of condensed milk. Make sure all the glue is removed.
  2. Puncture two small holes on the opposite sides of the top of the can with a can opener.
  3. Place the condensed milk can in a medium saucepan.
  4. Fill the saucepan with water until the water reaches 2/3 of the way up the side of the can.
  5. Cover the saucepan and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
  6. Lower the heat so the water simmers. Simmer for 1 hour.
  7. Check on the water content to ensure the water level is above the 1/2 mark. Some of the milk will seep out of the holes in the can but it is fine.
  8. The condensed milk has become dulce de leche when the milk has turned a golden brown.
  9. Remove the can from the simmering water with tongs very carefully. 
  10. Allow to cool slightly and open with a can opener.
To make the rice pudding:
  1. Coat 6( 4 oz.) ramekins with cooking spray or a 6 cup ovenproof casserole dish.
  2. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice and water to a boil.
  3. Allow the rice and water to simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Drain the rice in a colander and pour back into the saucepan.
  5. Add the low fat milk to the rice.
  6. Cover and simmer the rice for 20 minutes or until the milk is absorbed.
  7. Transfer the rice to a bowl.
  8. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
  9. In a heat proof medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar together until smooth.
  10. In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream and 1 cup dulce de leche to a boil over medium heat.  Remove the saucepan from the heat.
  11. With a second person/mixer, begin to whisk the egg mixture vigorously. Add 2 Tbsp. of the hot cream mixture to the continuously whisked egg mixture. Continue to whisk for a few seconds.
  12. Slowly, pour the rest of the cream into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
  13. Add the cooked rice and mix to incorporate.
  14. Pour the rice mixture into the prepared casserole dishes. 
  15. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is browned. A toothpick should come out clean if it is stuck in the middle of the dish.
  16. While the rice pudding is cooking, make the whip cream.
  17. Add the heavy cream to a large bowl. Whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
  18. Add 1/3 cup dulce de leche into the heavy cream. Beat until incorporated.
  19. Serve the rice pudding warm or room temperature. Top each serving with toasted almonds and whip cream if desired. 
Recipe slightly adapted from The Pastry Queen.
 Did you already know...
- Dulce de leche translates into sweet of milk.
-It is very popular in South America.
-Some versions use goat milk or unsweetened coconut milk to make dulce de leche.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great!! I'm glad you guys liked it. I have to agree with your daughter...the dulce de leche was incredible. Definitely my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete