Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pickles

I think I just might be doing a decent job in raising my son. He recently said to me that he was going to take over the world. I looked at him strangely. So, he replied, "I already know your answer-no."
My son loves pickles. If we are eating out, he will kindly offer to eat everyone's pickles. So, I figured I would try this recipe since it was a quick pickle. My son says these are not pickles but spicy cucumbers. I do not like cucumbers but I liked these "pickles". Now, I will admit I was hesitant to purchase dill. Once, I attempted to grow a garden outside my kitchen window. The only thing that grew was dill. I could smell dill all summer long. I was brave and decided I would go ahead and do it. I know I will never grow dill again. Why couldn't it have been lilacs? Why?
Pickles
2 cups champagne vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp ground mustard
1 Tbsp salt
3 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
1 bay leaf
1 English cucumber, cut into 1/8 inch slices
1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped

Directions:
  1. In a saucepan, add the vinegar, water, sugar, mustard, salt, garlic, and bay leaf.
  2. Bring the mixture to a simmer until the sugar dissolves. 
  3. Add the cucumbers and dill to a heat proof container like a Mason jar.
  4. Pour the hot pickling liquid into the container.
  5. Allow the pickles to sit at least 1 hour or overnight.
Recipe adapted from Sandwich King.
Did you already know...
-Pickles were on Christopher Columbus's ships to help prevent scurvy.
-This week is International Pickle Week.
-Americans prefer dill pickles over sweet.

How about you? Do you like sweet or dill better?

No comments:

Post a Comment