Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pizza Sauce

My husband has been doing a dangerous thing lately. He has been doing some grocery shopping. Since he is hungry, he has been buying the frozen french bread pizzas. So, I caught him eating them. I asked him what he was doing. He claims he was hungry and needed something. Since he is a smart man, he said he knows mine do taste a lot better but I didn't have any in the freezer ready to eat.
To make your own frozen french bread pizza is easy. I take a french bread and cut it close to the edge. I also cut the other side closer to the edge if I'm going to freeze it. The middle section my children eat but you could make croutons. On each inside of the bread, I slather on the pizza sauce and toppings. Then I just wrap it tightly and freeze. I have sometimes cooked the pizza half way through before the cheese becomes bubbly and allow to cool before freezing. When ready to eat, I place it on a baking sheet. I preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and cook the pizza for about 20 minutes or until the pizza is cooked through.
Pizza Sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 (28 oz.) can tomato puree
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf 
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the garlic and heat for a minute.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients.
  4. Cover and bring the sauce to a boil.
  5. Uncover and lower the heat to simmer.
  6. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence.
Doesn't this look better than store bought?
Did you already know...
-Stouffer's started in 1922 by Abraham and Mahala Stouffer.
-They started with a dairy stand and later opened restaurants.
-In 1950s, they expanded their business to include frozen meals.
-Stouffer's is now owned by Nestle USA with sales over $1 billion.

No comments:

Post a Comment