Monday, October 14, 2013

Two Tone Halloween Cookies

It was dark outside when I prepared the dough for these Halloween cookies. The kids were home so I asked them if my dough appeared orange or red. It was hard to gauge the color. They reassured me that my eyes were fine and the dough was orange. While the kids were at school, I made the cookies. I was happy for the most part with the results. When the kids arrived home, I told them they could have a cookie. My daughter ate her cookie without hesitation. She said they were a little plain tasting but good. (She has since said she really likes them since I keep catching her eating another one.) My son did not eat his cookie but was too busy trying to punch out the center part of the cookie. When I saw him, I told him it isn't going to just pop out like a puzzle. He told me that he figured that out.
Bats, pumpkins, and moon cookies
Two Tone Halloween Cookies
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
food coloring

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine the sugars and butter until fluffy.
  2. Add the milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix until incorporated.
  3. Add the flour and salt to the butter mixture. Mix until incorporated.
  4. Divide the dough in thirds. Set one-third of the dough aside.
  5. Add the other two thirds of the dough into two separate bowls.
  6. Add a few drops of the desired food coloring to each bowl. Mix well. (I used black food coloring to one bowl. The other bowl I added yellow and red food coloring to make orange.)
  7. Wrap each section of the dough separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night.
  8. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  9. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  10. Onto a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
  11. Cut out 2 1/2 inch round circles. (I used a large plastic cup.)
  12. Place the dough onto the baking sheet.
  13. Using a small cookie cutter, cut out the center of the dough. 
  14. Replace the center park of the dough with another color dough.
  15. With the rolling pin, gently roll the dough slightly to help seal the two doughs.
  16. Bake the cookies for 4 minutes. 
  17. Rotate and bake the cookies for another 4 minutes or until set.
  18. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Pillsbury Bars & Cookies Sept 1998 #211 issue.

One year ago .........................I made Chocolate Cookies.
Two years ago........................I made Sloppy Joes.
Did you already know............
-The only mammal that can fly is the bat.
-The smallest bat is the bumblebee bat and weighs less than a typical slice of bread.
-Vampire bats prick a wound in their prey and lap up the blood with their tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment