Friday, March 7, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie

My Mom use to make chicken pot pie often. My sister makes it for supper for her girls a lot. I'm unsure why I don't. It could be my husbands adverse fear of peas. We once had a family member make it for us and she had omitted the peas. I figured I would do the same and make my husband happy. However, I figured I would do most of the prep the day before to make it easy on me. The day before I made this chicken for supper. Since I normally roast vegetables with the chicken, I went ahead and used the same type of vegetables. I just chopped additional vegetables in preparation of making this dish. I also made the pie crust and stored it in the refrigerator. The chicken had lots of flavor which added a nice touch to the dish. My husband loved this dish. The pie crust had flavor. The kids ate it up. Anytime I have leftover chicken/turkey, I may just be making this dish again.
Chicken Pot Pie
3 celery stalks, finely diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 (8") pie crust


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large pot, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium heat.
  3. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 2 minutes.
  4. Stir in the chicken.
  5. Sprinkle the flour over the chicken and vegetables. Gently, mix to combine.
  6. Add the chicken broth and stir.
  7. Add the milk and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
  8. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper. 
  9. Pour the mixture into a deep dish pie pan or casserole dish.
  10. Roll out the pie crust so it will be slightly larger than the casserole dish.
  11. Place the pie crust over the chicken mixture. Cut slits on top of the pie crust.
  12. Bake the pot pie for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  13. Allow the pot pie to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks Cookbook.

One year ago..............................I made PB Nutella Oatmeal.
Two years ago............................I made Agent P Sandwich.
Did you already know..................
-Chicken pot pie consists of chicken, gravy, and vegetables.
-Meat pies have been around since Roman times.
-Early pot pies were cooked on open hearths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment