Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mexican Rice

My family loves rice. I prefer my rice to have a little more flavor. Normally, my husband request just white rice. Many times I have made the flavored rice packages but my husband told me he doesn't care for them. They also tend to be high in sodium. I figured I would try making my own Mexican rice. My husband really liked it. It has a nice subtle flavor. When I made this dish, I offered the kids some Mexican rice. My son said Mexican rice, what? I replied Mexican rice like Spanish rice. My husband interrupted and said that it really was French rice. Since my son really looked confused, I had to tell him to ignore his Dad. I explained that in Mexico you speak Spanish since Spain once ruled over Mexico just like England ruled over the States. My son said he liked the Mexican rice.
Mexican Rice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup rice
2 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup parsley

Directions:
  1. In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the rice and stir until the rice is lightly toasted for about 2 minute.
  3. Add the garlic, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Stir for 1 minute or until the rice is golden brown.
  4. Stir in the tomato sauce and chicken broth. 
  5. Once the chicken broth begins to boil, cover and turn the heat to low.
  6. Simmer for about 18 minutes. 
  7. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 1 minute before fluffing with a fork.
  8. If desired, top with the parsley before serving. 
Recipe adapted from Favorite Family Recipes.

One year ago...............................I made Guacamole.
Two years ago.............................I made Pasta Salad.

Did you already know.......................................

-The Spaniards introduced rice to Mexico.
-The Spanish word for rice is arroz. 
-In Northern Mexico, often rice is served with tomato sauce and chicken broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment