Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pastry Cream

I probably watch Food Network more than any other channel. I was watching Barefoot Contessa make this divine looking Strawberry Tart. Since I really didn't want to make a tart, I comprised and filled strawberries. I wanted to try the cream before making something more elaborate. Normally, I have an easy time taking photos of my son. Not this time, he just wanted to eat all the filled strawberries. He also made lots of faces. He looked angry. He crossed his eyes at me. He looked scared. He ate the filled strawberries bottom first. I am really surprised he didn't make a mess. Most of the photos were not even in focus. It is hard to take a photo if one is laughing. He does make me laugh often.
Pastry Cream
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp arrowroot 
1 1/2 cup  milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp heavy cream

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar for 4 minutes in a mixer on medium high speed.
  2. Add the arrowroot and mix well.
  3. In a medium pan, heat the milk until steaming. Stir constantly.
  4. Slowly, pour a Tbsp of heated milk into the mixer while the mixer is mixing.
  5. Gently, pour a little more of the heated milk into the mixer to temper the mixture.
  6. In a steady stream, add the remaining amount of the milk into the egg mixture. 
  7. Add the egg mixture into the medium pan and heat over low heat for 7 minutes. Stir constantly.
  8. Once the mixture begins to become a thick pudding, whisk the mixture for 2 minutes.
  9. Remove from heat.
  10. Stir in the vanilla, butter, and heavy cream. 
  11. Transfer the pastry cream into a bowl.
  12. Cover with plastic wrap. Press down so the plastic wrap is touching the top of the pastry cream.
  13. Refrigerate the pastry cream until cooled completely.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten.

One year ago.............................I made Steak Sandwich.
Two years ago...........................I made Banana Split Cake.
Did you already know........................
-Pastry cream is a rich custard.
-Custards have been around since the Middle Ages. 
-Pastry cream is the filling for eclairs and Boston Cream Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment