Thursday, September 29, 2011

German Red Cabbage


Oktoberfest! I wish I was there. We went last year to Germany and it was a lot of fun. I'm not a big beer drinker so I remember it. I took lots of photos so my husband could remember too! So, I made a meal that could have been served in one of the tents.
Menu:
Bratwurst (aka sausage)
German Potato Salad
Spaetzle (aka pasta)
German Red Cabbage

We went with my Dad so he came over to enjoy the fest. He also told me if I was making the cabbage correctly. One of the ingredients is ground cloves. I asked him if I should omit it but he said no. He also had me add more. I really had doubts about this ingredients but it was good.The recipe does take over 2 hours to make so it is ideal for a Sunday dinner.

German Red Cabbage
2 Tbsp butter
6 cups shredded red cabbage (I just roughly sliced thin)
1 cup sliced Gala apples
 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp water
2 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Directions
1. In a large pot, melt butter.
2. Add cabbage, apples, and sugar.
3. Pour in the vinegar and water.(Yes the water amount is correct).
4. Season with salt, pepper, and the ground cloves (be brave).
5. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
6. Once the water boils, reduce the heat to low.
7. Cover and simmer 2 hours.

 Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/grandma-jeanettes-amazing-german-red-cabbage/detail.aspx.


Did you already know...................

Oktoberfest Facts:
-The festivities the festivities were to honor the marriage of the Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig's to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildurghausen.
-It is the largerst fair in the world.
-There are more than 5 million people attend every year. I was one of those people last year and it was neat to hear all the different languages being spoken in one tent. I met people from Japan, Australia, England, Italy, Germany, and of course Bavaria.
-The "tents" are as big as a warehouse.
-What surprised me at the fair was there are amusement park rides.
-Many men wear Lederhosen (leather breeches) which are passed down generations.
-Many women wear Dirndlgewand. When you purchase a dirndl, you need to pick a bodice, blouse, skirt, and an apron plus any accesseries. It can be expensive.
-It is free to enter the ground fairs but with the exchange rate the beers are pricey.


No comments:

Post a Comment