Sunday, November 13, 2011

Asparagus with lemon and thyme

Do you like asparagus? My son does. One morning, he asked me to make asparagus for supper. My husband would never ask for anything green for any meal. My husband thinks my son is crazy.
 Since I just made the roast chicken with lemon and thyme, I thought it would be a nice addition to the asparagus. Also, I wanted to try it out before Thanksgiving. 
I asked my son if he wanted to help and he said sure. At home, I think my son's two favorite words are sure and Mamma. "Son, do you want me to add lemon to the asparagus?" He shrugs, "Sure." "Should I try adding a little thyme?" "Sure." My oldest replies, "Why not?"

Asparagus with lemon and thyme 1 lb asparagus
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 lemon zest, cut into stripes
1 tsp dry thyme
salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Take one stalk of asparagus and bend it in half until it snaps.
  3. Cut the other pieces of asparagus the same length as the snapped asparagus.
  4. Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus.
  5. Add the lemon zest, thyme, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat the asparagus.
  6. Cook the asparagus for about 15 to 18 minutes.
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.
 Did you already know..............
-Asparagus is a member of the lily family.
-When harvesting is completed, the asparagus spear will grow into ferns.
-A well cared asparagus plant can produce asparagus for about fifteen years from the same plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment