Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Allie's Bars

I asked my family if there were any dessert request for the holiday season. My oldest daughter asked for those bars with the coconut. I have not made any dessert bars with coconut for years. Do you know why I knew what my daughter was talking about? She is not a big fan of coconut so I thought I knew the recipe. 
 I searched cook books and online. I could only find similar recipes. I found the Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars and the Gooey Coconut Dream Bars. Both recipes looked familiar but it wasn't the one I remembered. The dessert bar had coconut, chocolate, caramel, marshmallows, and mini snicker bars. Then I realized I was thinking about two different recipes. I think one recipe was actually a blondie. Since I could not find the recipe I wanted, I created this recipe with my oldest daughter's help. The recipe is called Allie's bars since it has everything she likes in it. Please adjust the recipe to your liking.
Allie's Bars
5 low fat graham crackers, crushed finely
3/4 cups butter, melted
1/8 tsp salt
1 (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed milk
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Heath milk chocolate toffee bits
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
10 caramel pieces, cut in quarters
10 miniature snicker bars, cut in quarters
1 cup of miniature marshmallows, cut in half
1/2 cup peanuts

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine the crackers, butter, and salt.
  3. Press the mixture on the bottom of a 9 x13 baking dish.
  4. Pour half of the sweetened condense milk on top of the graham cracker crust to coat.
  5. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the Heath bits over the sweetened condense milk.
  6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes over the chocolate chips.
  7. Top the coconut flakes with the caramel, snicker bars, and marshmallow pieces.
  8. Add the peanuts then top with the remaining chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
  9. Drizzle the remaining can of sweetened condense milk over the bars.
  10. Bake the bars for about 25 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown.
  11. Remove and let the dish cool for at least 30 minutes before placing in the refrigerator.
  12. After the bars have harden, cut into desired pieces.
Recipe from Jen of Sweet Morris.
 Did you already know.................
-In the 1960s, the Magic Cookie Bar was introduced.
-It is found on the back of the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk.
-In 1856, Gail Borden invented the milk product due to lack of refrigeration.
-The Eagle Brand is owned by Smucker Foods of Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment