I asked my family if there were any dessert request for the holiday season. My oldest daughter asked for those bars with the coconut. I have not made any dessert bars with coconut for years. Do you know why I knew what my daughter was talking about? She is not a big fan of coconut so I thought I knew the recipe.
I searched cook books and online. I could only find similar recipes. I found the Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars and the Gooey Coconut Dream Bars. Both recipes looked familiar but it wasn't the one I remembered. The dessert bar had coconut, chocolate, caramel, marshmallows, and mini snicker bars. Then I realized I was thinking about two different recipes. I think one recipe was actually a blondie. Since I could not find the recipe I wanted, I created this recipe with my oldest daughter's help. The recipe is called Allie's bars since it has everything she likes in it. Please adjust the recipe to your liking.Allie's Bars
5 low fat graham crackers, crushed finely
3/4 cups butter, melted
1/8 tsp salt
1 (14 oz.) Sweetened Condensed milk
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Heath milk chocolate toffee bits
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
10 caramel pieces, cut in quarters
10 miniature snicker bars, cut in quarters
1 cup of miniature marshmallows, cut in half
1/2 cup peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the crackers, butter, and salt.
- Press the mixture on the bottom of a 9 x13 baking dish.
- Pour half of the sweetened condense milk on top of the graham cracker crust to coat.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the Heath bits over the sweetened condense milk.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes over the chocolate chips.
- Top the coconut flakes with the caramel, snicker bars, and marshmallow pieces.
- Add the peanuts then top with the remaining chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
- Drizzle the remaining can of sweetened condense milk over the bars.
- Bake the bars for about 25 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown.
- Remove and let the dish cool for at least 30 minutes before placing in the refrigerator.
- After the bars have harden, cut into desired pieces.
Did you already know.................
-In the 1960s, the Magic Cookie Bar was introduced.
-It is found on the back of the Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk.
-In 1856, Gail Borden invented the milk product due to lack of refrigeration.
-The Eagle Brand is owned by Smucker Foods of Canada.