Monday, January 9, 2012

Burgundy Mushrooms

When I was a kid, I did not like mushrooms. I did not like the texture. Also, mushrooms really did not have much of a taste. As an adult, I really like mushrooms. I cook a lot with mushrooms as if you couldn't tell if you read my blog often.
When I lived in Colorado, I use to order marinated mushrooms. The dish was served as an appetizer and they were so good. The restaurant is now closed but I sure miss that dish. These mushrooms look and taste very similar to that appetizer. The recipe takes all day to make.
Burgundy Mushrooms
2 lbs white button mushrooms, cleaned throughly
1/2 liter of Burgundy wine
1 cups boiling water
1 sticks butter
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt

Directions:
  1. Add the mushrooms, wine, boiling water, butter, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, bouillon cubes, and garlic to a large pot. Stir to combine.
  2. Bring the mushrooms to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 6 hours covered.
  3. Remove the lid and continue to cook for 3 hours, uncovered.
  4. Add salt to taste after the 3 hours. 
  5. Serve with bread, as a side dish, or over meat.
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook.
Did you already know.........
-Burgundy wine is produced from the Burgundy region of France.
-Burgundy wine can be white or red.
-A red Burgundy wine is Pinot Noir. 
-A white Burgundy wine is a Chardonnay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment