As a kid, did you look through the toy catalog and want all the toys? Did you care if it was a doll or a truck? I didn't. My mom would tell us we could only pick one or two items out of the catalog. I thought that was the most impossible task.As an adult, I have the same problem but with the William-Sonoma catalog. I would like one of these or two of those. Once in a while, I will break down if the price is right and purchase something like a lunch box with cookie cutters for $10. I thought that was a pretty good deal. My son thought it was great since it was for him. I do actually look at the recipes in the catalogs. Since I have an underutilized panini press, I decided to make this recipe. My family said this was a must make again meal.
Ham, Cheese, & Fried Egg Panini
yields: 4 sandwiches
1/2 tsp minced shallot
1/2 tsp honey
1 tsp Champagne vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
12 oz. Black Forest ham, thinly sliced
4 baguette rolls, sliced horizontally
6 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated
1 Tbsp mayonnaise/ Dijon mustard (optional)
1 cup mixed salad greens
2 Tbsp chives, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the shallot, honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Preheat the electric panini press.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add 1 tsp vegetable oil.
- Working in batches, brown the ham slices about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer the ham on top of the open baguette rolls.
- One the other side of the baguette rolls, brush with mayonnaise/mustard or the shallot oil mixture.
- Add the salad greens to the shallot oil bowl and toss to coat the salad.
- Top the ham with about 1 oz. Gruyere cheese per a sandwich.
- Cover the cheese with the other side of the baguette roll.
- Place 2 sandwiches at a time in the panini press and close the lid.
- Cook the sandwich about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- In the large skillet used for the ham over medium-low heat, add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Crack one egg into the skillet; cook the egg until the whites turn opaque.
- Flip the egg over and cook about 1 minute or until desired doneness.
- Open the sandwich and add the egg on top of the sandwich.
- Top the egg with the mix salad greens and sprinkle chives on top.
- Close the sandwich and serve.
Did you already know........
-Panini means sandwich.
-If you don't have a panini press, use a handheld grill press, brick covered with tinfoil, waffle iron, or a heavy skillet placed on top of the sandwich (or my oldest daughter's suggest use a clothes iron).
-In the early 1960s, Panini sandwiches could be found in sandwich shops around Italy.