Thursday, May 31, 2012

PB & J Bars

Peanut butter and  jelly bar time! A great treat to make for the last days of school. My son was a little disappointed since he couldn't bring any of this dessert to school for snack. He has a friend who is allergic to peanuts so my son understood why he can only eat this treat at home. (My son always brushes his teeth right before leaving for the bus just in case there were traces of peanuts in his breakfast.) My son tried to eat these bars for breakfast one morning but I vetoed that attempt. We have a rule no sweets before 10 am unless it is a special occasion. School days do not make it a special occasion. I will never know if you eat these before 10 am. I know my sister doesn't have that rule at her house but she thinks chocolate is a food group.
These bars are just as gooey as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. My kids really liked this dessert but not as much as my husband. My husband highly recommends this recipe. These bars have already been requested for me to make them again. Next time, I think I will try grape jam instead.
PB & J Bars
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup strawberry jam

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy about 2 minutes.
  4. Add the eggs and peanut butter. Mix until combined.
  5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. 
  6. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Beat until combined and then add the vanilla.
  7. Transfer two-thirds of the mixture to the 9 x 13 pan. Spread evenly across the bottom of the pan.
  8. Top the bottom layer of peanut-butter mixture with 3/4 cup of jam.
  9. Crumble the remaining peanut-butter mixture over the jam. 
  10. Spoon the remaining 1/4 cup of jam over the top of the bars.
  11. Bake the bars for 30 minutes and rotate the pan.
  12. Cook the bars for about 15 to 30 minutes. If the bars are becoming too dark then loosely cover the bars with foil.
  13. Allow the bars to cool and then run a knife around the edge before refrigerating for 1 hour. 
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies.
Did you already know... 
-In the U.S., over 3 million people have reported having an allergy to peanuts and other nuts.
-About 20 percentage of people with a peanut allergy may outgrow it.
-A peanut allergy can be fatal.
-Many schools have implemented a peanut free lunch table or classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment