Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Bacon Fontina Panini Sandwich

What is your favorite go to meal when you have to make supper in a hurry? My first choice is pizza but for some reason the rest of my family think we shouldn't eat pizza every night. Well, I agree since I think we should have it for breakfast and lunch too with the occasional bowl of cereal. However, they would have no problems if we had sandwiches every day. When I make sandwiches, I like to change it up. Some days it is just a cold sandwich. Other days I use the broiler to toast the sandwich. Then there is always the grilled cheese. Why make a grilled cheese when it is even faster to use a panini press, right? Except if you decide to add caramelized onions to your sandwich, then it will take a little extra time. It was worth it.
Bacon Fontina Panini Sandwich
5 pieces of bacon
3 tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced thin
10 slices of smoked deli ham
5 slices of Fontina cheese
10 slices of crusty bread like french bread
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened

Directions:
  1. In a skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat. Set aside.
  2. Wipe out the pan and add 2 tsp of oil to the skillet.
  3. After a minute, add the onion and saute every few minutes for 20 minutes. Set aside.
  4. Brush the panini press with the remaining oil (or add to your skillet the oil).
  5. Butter two sides of the bread with the butter.
  6. On the unbuttered side of one slice of bread, add one slice of cheese, bacon, two slices of ham. 
  7. Top the ham with the caramelized onion. 
  8. Place the unbuttered side of the bread on top of the onions.
  9. Set the assembled sandwich on the panini press and close (or in the skillet), and cook for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.
One year ago.............................I made Nutella Hot Chocolate.
Sometimes onions are messy to eat!
Did you already know...............
-Fontina is a creamy, semi soft cheese.
-There are different types of fontina cheese like Italian, Swedish, or Danish.
-Fontina is a versatile cheese and can be eaten with fruit or cooked in a dish.

2 comments:

  1. The sandwich looks delicious! My husband is trying to convince me that we need a panini press...this would be great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my panini press except cleaning it. For some reason, the sandwiches always taste great!

    ReplyDelete