Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Raspberry Cream Sandwiches

I will admit my favorite way to eat raspberries are plain. I also love adding raspberries to my cereal. I add a little cereal and a lot of milk so I end up eating mostly raspberries with milk. What is your favorite way to eat raspberries? I know my daughters prefer plain.
 Since we normally eat the raspberries before I can make any recipes, I went raspberry picking twice this year. We probably will go again but it will be for some golden raspberries. Have you ever seen a golden raspberry? I saw this recipe at the beginning of the year and I bookmarked it. The cookie is a nice sugar cookie in which my daughter preferred with no filling. My husband saw me scrapping the vanilla bean and asked me what was I doing. I held out the vanilla bean and asked him to smell. He hesitated so my son did. My son looked up at his dad and said it is vanilla. My husband confirmed it was vanilla. I think my son spends a lot of time in the kitchen with me. Now, how do I get my husband in their more often is the question?
 Raspberry Cream Sandwiches
1 3/4 all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
1 1/3 cups fresh raspberries
1 Tbsp sugar, for the filling
7 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. 
  4. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
  5. Add the egg, vanilla, and scraped vanilla seeds into the sugar butter. Mix until smooth.
  6. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar butter mixture.
  7. Scoop 1 inch mounds of dough onto the baking sheet spacing the dough 2 inches apart. 
  8. Bake the cookies for 4 minutes and then rotate.
  9. Bake the cookies for another 4 to 5 minutes or until the cookies are golden.
  10. Allow the cookies to cool on wire racks.
  11. In a food processor, puree the raspberries and the sugar to make the filling.
  12. Pour the raspberries through a fine sieve to extract the juice and remove the seeds.
  13. Melt the chocolate in a double broiler over simmering water.
  14. Remove the melted chocolate from the heat and whisk in the cream in a slow, steady stream.
  15. Add the raspberry mixture to the chocolate. Whisk slowly until pale about 3 minutes. 
  16. Refrigerate the raspberry chocolate mixture for about 30 minutes.
  17. To assemble the cookies by spreading 1 Tbsp of the raspberry chocolate mixture on the bottom of one cookie. 
  18. Add another cookie to sandwich the filling in the middle.
  19. Cookies can be refrigerated between layers of wax paper in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies.
Did you already know...
-Different types of raspberries include red, golden, purple, and black.
-It is believed raspberries originated from Southeast Asia.
-Raspberries have a hollow core. Blackberries are not hollow in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment