Friday, June 12, 2015

Msemmen Moroccan pancakes

If you have been following my blog for awhile, you would know I like pancakes. It was one of the first things I learned to cook well. I love cooking them. Even my husband was naming the different types of pancakes I have made. I have made a lot of different pancakes from yogurt to pineapple. Here are a list of the international pancakes I have made.....
-English pancakes
-German pancakes
-Russian pancakes
and now I've made Moroccan pancakes! I'm taking recommendations for other types of pancakes I should make- just let me know! I will so make them! Can you tell I like pancakes?
Msemmen Moroccan pancakes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cups warm water
vegetable oil
semolina flour for sprinkling

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and egg. Mix until combined.
  2. Add a little warm water at a time until the mixture forms a ball.
  3. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. 
  4. Brush the dough with a little vegetable oil.
  5. Divide the dough into small balls about the size of a ping pong ball.
  6. Place the dough onto a place and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
  7. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
  8. On a clean counter, brush the counter lightly with vegetable oil.
  9. Press down on the dough and flatten. Roll out the dough gently to form a very thin disk of dough.
  10. The dough should be almost transparent. 
  11. Sprinkle a little semolina over the dough.
  12. Take the upper edge and fold it over to the center.
  13. Take the lower edge and fold it over to the center.
  14. Fold the right edge to the center.
  15. Fold the left edge to the center to create a long rectangle.
  16. Sprinkle the dough with a little semolina. 
  17. Place the dough onto a plate and cover. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
  18. Brush the counter with a little vegetable.
  19. Roll out the dough to flatten it. The dough should be three times large thin square.
  20. In a large skillet, heat a little vegetable oil over high heat.
  21. Reduce the heat over medium high heat. 
  22. Cook the msemmen for a few minutes until golden brown.
  23. If the dough puffs up while cooking, then flat by pushing down. 
  24. Turn the dough and allow the other side to cook until golden brown and thoroughly cooked through. 
  25. Place the msemmen onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. 
  26. Serve with honey, cheese, maple syrup, etc.
Recipe adapted from Cooking with Alia. Check out her site for a great video instructions.

One year ago......................................I made White Chocolate Ice Cream.
Two years ago....................................I made Pizza Quesadilla.
Three years ago..................................I made Macaroni Grill Bread.
Are you done taking my picture, yet?
Did you already know.............................
-The official language of Morocco is Arabic.
-Islam is the religion of the majority of Moroccans.
-In Africa, Morocco is the fifth riches country.

2 comments:

  1. Crepes are very similar to pancakes and you can try red velvet pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion. My family agreed they would love red velvet pancakes.

    ReplyDelete