Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Fried Sausage Dumplings

I was trying to think of scary names for these sausage dumplings.  So, I asked the children if they wanted to help. I provided some examples but they didn't like any of them. Then my son said the dumplings name was Red Goblin Noses. I suggested how about just Goblin Noses but my son said it had to be Red Goblin Noses. I said but there is no red. My son replied so. Who am I to argue with such logic?
The first time I made sausage dumplings were over ten years ago. I can't even believe it was that long ago. I had never heard of a blog. I would watch a lot of Food Network for recipes. I learned how to make egg rolls from my Dad but I wanted to make some dishes with it when I saw this Oriental Pork Wrappers recipe. My pork was raw inside. I tried several other ways to cook the wrappers. When I served them to my family, they liked them. Well, my daughter really wanted to cook up some dumplings and crab rangoon (recipe posting soon). I think she did a pretty good job.
Fried Sausage Dumplings aka Red Goblin Noses
1 lb. ground pork
2 stalks of scallions
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 package of wonton wrappers
2 cups vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, brown the pork for about 3 minutes over medium heat. 
  2. Add the scallions and cook for 2 minutes.
  3. Remove the skillet from the heat and mix in the hoisin sauce.
  4. Add salt and pepper and incorporate well.
  5. Place about 1 Tbsp in the center of the wonton wrapper. 
  6. Moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper with water and fold over to form a triangle. Press securely to seal.
  7. In a large Dutch oven (large pot, deep fryer) , heat oil until the back of a wooden spoon bubbles.
  8. Carefully add the sausage dumplings one at a time without over crowding. Cook until golden brown and flip about a minute per a side.
  9. With tongs, remove the dumplings and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
  10. Allow the dumplings to cool for a few minutes before serving.
  11. Serve with a dipping sauce if desired.
One year ago I made..........Pork Chops with garlic and herbs.
Did you already know...
-The word Goblin is derived from the Greek word for rogue.
-Some goblins reside in grottoes which are caves if not your house.
-One of the most famous goblins is Rumpelstiltskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment