Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mardi Gras

I normally dance with my daughters. I hadn't realized I don't just dance with my son without his sisters involved. Since he will be eight years old soon, he should learn to dance with just two people. I felt like we were in a mosh pit. I may be bruised up and down my sides. I'm not sure who taught him to dance like this but I have a feeling it may have been my oldest. We need a lot more practice or he may not have a date for prom. Yes, I think it may take that long.
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 lb. kielbasa, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 bay leaves
7 cups chicken broth
1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
  1. In a large Dutch oven, combine the oil and flour over medium heat. 
  2. Stir constantly for 20 minutes or until the roux is the color of chocolate.
  3. Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper. Stir for 5 minutes.
  4. Add the sausage, salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and bay leaves. Stir for 5 minutes.
  5. Add the chicken broth and stir until well combined.
  6. Bring the gumbo to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
  7. Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. 
  8. In a bowl, combine the paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper. 
  9. Season the chicken breast with the spice rub.
  10. Add the seasoned chicken to the pot. Stir to combine.
  11. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that surfaces.
  12. Remove the gumbo from the heat. Remove the bay leaves.
  13. Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse.  
One year ago.......................I made Wild Mushroom Soup.
Did you already know.........
-In mosh pits, dancers slam dance normally at hard rock concerts.
-There are different types of pits to participate in moshing.
-Moshing is a form of dancing to let out energy/aggression but not to hurt others.
Enjoy Mardi Gras!

No comments:

Post a Comment