Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Lemon Bars

Oh, how I love lemons. My Mom loves lemons. My daughters love lemons. However, lemons aren't my husbands first pick. So, I asked him if he had any suggestions for a dessert that I should make. I was totally taken off guard when he suggested lemon bars. Did I ask him if I heard him right? Did I ask him to repeat his suggestion? Oh no, I didn't since I was afraid he would change his mind. Good pick husband of mine, good pick!
Lemon Bars
cookie layer:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon zest
topping layer:
3 eggs
1 egg white
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the butter, flour, sugar, salt, and lemon zest.
  3. Press the cookie layer mixture into a 8x8 baking pan.
  4. Bake the cookie layer for about 20 minutes or until it is just turning golden brown.
  5. To make the topping, whisk the 3 eggs and the egg white in a medium bowl.
  6. Add the flour and sugar to the eggs and mix.
  7. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest to the egg mixture and stir.
  8. Pour over the cookie layer.
  9. Bake the lemon bars for about 30 minutes or until the topping is firm.
  10. Allow the lemon bars to chill before cutting.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's favorite cookie recipes.

One year ago..........................I made American Beauty Cake.
Did you already know............
-Lemon trees produce fruit all year long.
-Lemons turn from green to yellow due to the weather and not ripeness.
-The juice of one lemon is a third of a day's supply of Vitamin C.

No comments:

Post a Comment