Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Creamy Polenta

The first time I had polenta I was attending a wedding. I thought it was pretty good. Someone told me that it was grits. Now, I've had grits and I would rather pass. My Dad is Southern and tried to get us to eat grits often. Several years ago, my Aunt made grits for my husband and he wasn't impressed. When I decided to make this dish, I figured it was probably a good idea not to tell my husband that it was like grits. My husband said when he saw me making this dish he was wondering how he was going to get out of eating it. He was glad he didn't since he loved it. My husband told me several times that I could make this dish again. My son and I loved it.
Creamy Polenta with mushrooms
8 cups half and half
1 Tbsp salt
1 cup coarse polenta
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup freshly grated Parigiano Reggiano cheese

Directions
  1. In a large pot, heat the half and half for 5 minutes over medium high heat.
  2. Whisk in the salt.
  3. Slowly, whisk in the polenta. Continue to whisk for 8 minutes.
  4. With a wooden spoon, continue to stir for 5 minutes.
  5. Turn the heat to medium and continue to stir until the mixture evenly bubbles.
  6. Cover and turn the heat to low. Stir every 15 minutes. Allow to cook for 2 hours.
  7. Once the liquid has reduced down, stir in the butter and cheese.
Recipe adapted from Foodnetwork.

Cremini mushrooms
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 shallots, minced
1 cup cremini mushrooms
2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup white wine

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the butter and the shallots. Cook for about 5 minutes and stir often.
  3. Add the cremini mushrooms. Stir  often.
  4. Stir in the thyme and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
  5. Add the white wine and cook for 1 minute.
  6. Serve over the polenta and then top with roasted chicken. 
One year ago........................................I made Lemon Cookies.
Two years ago......................................I made Margaritas.
Did you already know..............................
-Polenta is made with a coarse ground yellow cornmeal.
-Polenta is a native Italian dish. 
-Cooled polenta maybe sliced and then fried.

No comments:

Post a Comment