Monday, May 5, 2014

Hawaiian Rolls

This week my recipes are inspired by my Mom. My Mom loves Hawaiian King Rolls so I made a bunch of them and gave her a bag full. My husband surprised me by saying that he had never had them. I did point them out at our local store and he still said he never had them. (Yes, we even have them in our stores in Maine.) My Mom told me that she liked them. My family really liked them. If you have never had them either, they are sweeter than a typical roll.
Copycat Kings Hawaiian Bread
1 egg
2/3 cups pineapple juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 (1/4 oz.) envelope of yeast
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, add 1 cup of flour. Set aside. 
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg before adding pineapple juice, sugar, ginger, and the butter.
  3. Add 1 cup of flour to the egg mixture and incorporate well.
  4. Sprinkle in the yeast and mix well.
  5. Add another 1 cup of flour. Mix until incorporated.
  6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm surface until doubles about 1 hour.
  7. Once doubled, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
  8. Shape the dough into equally sized rolls.
  9. Cover the rolls and place in a warm place and allow to rise for 1 hour.
  10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  11. Remove the plastic wrap from the top of the rolls. 
  12. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked throughly.
Recipe adapted from Food.com.

One year ago.............................................I made Fresh Orange Juice.
Two years ago...........................................I made Dulce de Leche Arborio Rice Pudding.
Did you already know.............................
-In the 1950s, Robert Taira opened Robert's Bakery in Hawaii.
-In 1977, the business opened a new bakery in California. 
-Currently, the third generation of the Taira family are running the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment