Monday, September 22, 2014

Apple Cider Doughnut Glaze

We had scheduled to head to the orchards yesterday but it rained. Besides the apples, one of the best thing about apple picking is we treat the kids to the fresh doughnuts. Alright, we treat ourselves to the doughnuts but we share them with the kids! Fresh doughnuts are wonderful. I had never made doughnuts before so I figured I would use the beignet recipe. The beignet recipe is so delicious so why not. I did cut the beignet dough into circles with my biscuit cutters. After frying, I dipped the doughnuts into this apple cider glaze. Sticky and warm doughnuts are the way to go. The doughnuts did not last long.
Apple Cider Glaze:
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan, heat the apple cider to a boil.
  2. Reduce the apple cider for 15 minutes.
  3. Whisk in the powdered sugar until glossy.
  4. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
  5. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly before dipping the doughnuts into the glaze. 
Recipe adapted from Food Network.

One year ago........................I made German Honey Cookies.
Two years ago......................I made Rocket Focaccia Bread
Did you already know..........
-The origins of the doughnut is unknown but the Dutch have been cooking up oil cakes since the mid 19th century. 
-During WWI, doughnuts were served to the homesick Americans in the French trenches.
-In 1920, Adolph Levitt created the first automatic doughnut machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment