Monday, December 15, 2014

Country French Omelet

I showed my son this recipe and he agreed we should make it. Now, I hate cooking bacon. If I use the stove, it splatters. I even bought a splash guard but I still have to lift it up to flip them. I also tend to burn a couple of pieces. If I cook bacon in the oven, I think they tend to be very crumbly. So, I try to cook bacon for two recipes and save some pieces for the next day. My oldest daughter use to cook the bacon for me since I think she wanted to sample a few pieces. This recipe is easy. The potatoes are crispy. This was one filling breakfast. It could easily be a quick dinner meal too.
Country French Omelet
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes
3 large eggs
3 egg whites
3 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp salted butter
 2 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
1 Tbsp chives, chopped

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large oven safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat on the stove.
  3. Add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. 
  4. Cook for 8 minutes. Toss occasionally to brown evenly.
  5. Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate.
  6. In a medium bowl, add the eggs, egg whites, and milk. Whisk to combine.
  7. Add the butter to the skillet and allow to melt over low heat. 
  8. Pour the eggs into the skillet. 
  9. Sprinkle the bacon, potatoes, and chives evenly over the top of the eggs.
  10. Place the skillet into the oven for 8 minutes. 
  11. Season with salt and pepper.
  12. Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Back to Basics cookbook by Barefoot Contessa.

Three years ago............................Enchilada Pie.
Did you already know.............
-Omelet is French and means thin plate.
-There is a legend about Napoleon being served an omelet by an innkeeper. 
-Napoleon was so impressed by the omelet that he had the townspeople prepare a huge omelet for his army the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment