Monday, February 16, 2015

Bananas Foster Sundays

Awhile ago, my Aunt gave us these food clips. These food clips make an animal noise when you hold it open to clasp something. Well, I was using one of the food clips to seal a bag of cereal which made the monkey sounds. My son came into the kitchen to see what was going on. He told me that he heard his brother calling him. He is my little monkey and a very hungry boy. As expected from my son being a monkey, bananas are very popular at my house. To celebrate Mardi Gras, I figured I would attempt to make banana fosters. This dessert is very good. It may seem easy to make but it is easy to burn. My husband helped with igniting the flame. The kids thought it was very cool. 

Bananas Foster Sunday
4 Tbsp butter
3/4 cups light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg
4 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into quarters
1 nip of banana flavored liqueur
1 nip dark rum
Serve with vanilla ice cream, pound cake, whip cream and candied pecans and other desired toppings

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. 
  2. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and a little grated nutmeg.
  3. Stir continuously until the sugar dissolves about 2 minutes.
  4. Add the bananas and allow to cook for 2 minute. 
  5. Flip the bananas.
  6. Add the banana liqueur. Allow to cook until the bananas are brown.
  7. Remove the pan from the burner and add the rum.
  8. With a lighter, carefully ignite the rum. Allow the alcohol to burn while shaking the pan. Baste the bananas with the sauce.
  9. Serve the bananas with the sauce over desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from Emeril.

One year ago.........................I made Blini Pancakes.
Three years ago.....................I made Rosemary French Fries.
Did you already know...........
-To promote bananas, restaurant owner Owen Brennan asked his chief to create a recipe using bananas.
-Chief Paul Blange created the Bananas Foster recipe.
-The dessert was named for Richard Foster who was Mr. Brennan's friend and frequent customer to the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment