Monday, April 27, 2015

Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Lately, I have been slacking in the cooking. When I do cook, I've been making some of our favorite meals like lasagna soup or blueberry oatmeal. It is because Spring is here and I just don't want to be home. The flowers are in bloom and it is hard to stay home. Well, this weekend was rainy or cloudy so I figured I would stay home and rest. I asked my husband what kind of dessert should I make this weekend. He elected chocolate chip cookies until I showed him the dessert I was thinking we should try. He agreed with my selection. This dessert was gone beside the piece my children wrapped for their lunch. It is a soft bar. It is creamy with a nice touch of lemon to them. I didn't wait for them to chill before serving. I guess it would have firmed a little more but my husband didn't want to wait an hour for them to cool after cooking so there was no waiting additional time. I did change the recipes topping and the crust. I really like how the dessert came out.
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
Crust:
4 cups mini vanilla wafer cookies
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp lemon zest, grated
8 oz. butter, melted

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Line a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. In a food processor, pulse the cookies, sugar, and lemon zest until the texture of sand.
  4. Add the melted butter. Pulse until combined.
  5. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
  6. Press the remaining mixture into  baking dish. 
  7. Bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove allow to cool.
Filling:
2 packages (8 oz.) reduced fat cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:
  1. In the food processor, combine the cream cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice,1 Tbsp lemon zest.
  2. Process until smooth. 
  3. Pour over the crust. Set  aside. 
Topping:
1 cup of the crust filling
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp butter

Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, combine the crust filling, sugar, and flour.
  2. Cut in the butter with a fork.
  3. Evenly distribute the topping over the filling mixture.
  4. Bake the bars for 35 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. The middle will still be a little jiggly.
  5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 1 hour.
  6. Transfer the bars to the refrigerator to allow to chill for several hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.

One year ago................................I made Cream Puffs.
Two years ago..............................I made Softies Morning Rolls.
Three years ago............................I made Double Chocolate Cookies.
Did you already know.......................
-In April, the average temperature for North Carolina is in the 60s.
-North Carolina has three geographic demographics: the coast, piedmont, and the mountains.
-Piedmont is the land at the base of a mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment