Monday, September 14, 2015

Cheeseburger Pasta

Do you ever feel like you just need more hours in the day? It probably doesn't help with a ten hour work day. So, I like to find quick meals. I will admit that I am lucky since my husband makes/buys our dinners during the weekdays. Then my turn to cook is Friday through Sunday unless it is a holiday then I'll cook. My husband was going to make this meal but something came up. Since he had purchased all the items, I made it for a quick weekend meal. I was thinking about skipping the pickle juice but I had a jar of pickles in the frig. My son loves pickles. I know my husband was going to skip the pickle juice. I'm glad I didn't. It really added a nice flavor to the dish. Also, my neighbor gave us a tomato and two orange bell peppers which I added to the dish. No one could tell there were extra vegetables not even my husband. My husband even requested the leftovers since he liked it very much. I have a feeling my husband will be making this dish on a night he cooks. It looks like a Hamburger Helper but it taste nothing like a box meal.
Cheeseburger Pasta
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup orange bell pepper
2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomato sauce
2 Tbsp pickle juice
4 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
8 Tbsp ketchup
2 cups penne pasta
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded 

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, brown the hamburger with the onion and garlic.
  2. Add the tomato and bell pepper. Cook for a minute.
  3. Season with the steak seasoning and the season salt. 
  4. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, pickle juice, mustard, and ketchup.
  5. Mix the tomato sauce mixture into the hamburger.
  6. Allow the mixture to simmer while the pasta cook. 
  7. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain well. 
  8. Mix the pasta with the hamburger mixture.
  9. Sprinkle the cheese into the hamburger mixture and mix.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.

One year ago..........................I made FYI: Tomatillos.
Two years ago........................I made Peanut Butter Layer Bars.
Three years ago.......................I made Broccoli Cheddar Soup.

Did you already know.......................
-In 1971, Betty Crocker introduced Hamburger Helper.
-The product was introduced for a family to stretch a pound of meat into a meal for five. 
-Hamburger Helper is made by General Mills under the Betty Crocker brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment