Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Pierogies with Kielbasa and Caramelized Onions

It sure feels like Fall. It has been cold in the morning but I'm glad it warms up during the day. I know some parts of the country have seen snow. Crazy! Well for some reason, my children have been asking for pierogies. I like to serve the pierogies with kielbasa but wanted to do something a little different. I figured I would make it with caramelized onions, spinach, and an apple. Yes, I added an apple and my son didn't even realized until my husband said something. He had saw me chopping up the apple.
Pierogies with Kielbasa and Caramelized Onions aka Goblin Face
1 tsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 apple, chopped
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 package kielbasa, sliced
20 pierogies, potato and cheese

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and saute for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the apple and spinach. Saute for 10 minutes. 
  4. Remove the caramelized onion mixture onto a plate. Set aside.
  5. Add the kielbasa to the skillet and brown. 
  6. Remove and add the kielbasa to the caramelized onion plate. Set aside.
  7. Add the pierogies to the skillet.
  8. Cook the pierogies for 5 minutes on each side. 
  9. Add the caramelized onion mixture with the kielbasa to the pierogies.
  10. Gently combine the mixture. 
  11. Heat for a couple of minutes.
  12. Serve immediately. 
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.

Two years ago..........................I made Snail Cookies.
Three years ago........................I made Pretzel Dogs.
Four years ago.........................I made Chicken Enchiladas.
Did you already know....................
-Kielbasa originates from Poland. 
-Pierogies originate from Eastern Europe.
-The only apple native to America is the crab apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment