Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Apple-Cranberry Pie

I remember when I was growing up my Mom would make a lot of cobblers. I'm not complaining since I love cobblers. During the holidays, we would have several pies. When I was in high school, I remember making an apple pie. It was delicious.
I really wanted to make an apple pie for Thanksgiving but I decided to make my daughter's request for cherry and strawberry pies. My Mom brought a pumpkin and peanut butter pie. So, the apple had to wait.
I had left over fresh cranberries which I wanted to use up. The package of cranberries has an apple cranberry pie listed. I used the apple pie recipe I usually make and just added the cranberries. It is a great combination.
Apple-Cranberry Pie
Two 9 inch pie crust
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Dash of salt
7 cups apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh cranberries
2 Tbsp butter
1 egg and 1 tsp milk to brush the top of the pie crust

Directions:
Heat oven to 425 degrees.
In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
Slowly, fold in the apples until well coated with the sugar mixture. Set aside.
Line the pie pan with one of the pie crust.
Layer 1/2 cup of the cranberries on top pie crust.
Add the apple mixture on top of the cranberries.
Top the apple mixture with the remaining cranberries.
Dot the top of the mixture with the butter.
Cover the apple mixture with the second pie crust in desired design just need slits in the top of the pie crust.
Whisk the egg with the milk in a small bowl and brush the mixture onto the top pie crust.
Cover the edge with aluminum foil if desired to prevent excessive browning just remove during the last 20 minutes of baking.
Bake the pie for 40-50 minutes or until the crust is brown and the juices are bubbling on top of the pie.

Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook.
Do you like my little apple cut outs?
Did you already know....................
-Pie pastry is thought to originated from the Greeks.
-Medieval England, preferred their pies (or as they called them pyes) filled with meat.
-Apple pie is originally from England.

No comments:

Post a Comment