Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cheesy Potato Gratin

I have an evasive teenager. I bring out the camera and she disappears. My mother is the same way so I am unsure if it a learned behavior or an inherited one. There are probably more photos of Bigfoot than my daughter as a teenager. I guess I could hide and wait for her to go by. A lot of the photos of my teenager, she thinks she is a movie star and holds up her hand so the photo can not be used or sold. 
My children especially my teenager likes to help in the kitchen. For some reason, my phone seems to ring when I'm cooking. I hear a lot of "Mom, it is important. The person on the phone wants to talk to you." When I pick up the phone, the call could have waited. You are probably wondering why we don't have a cordless phone. We do but it is always missing. Bigfoot probably is using it somewhere.
I saw this recipe and wanted to try it before Thanksgiving. It didn't happen but I am glad I made it this weekend. It is very, good especially with leftover Turkey.


Cheesy Potato Gratin


1 Tbsp butter, unsalted
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 Tbsp flour, all purpose
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
3 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup Parmigiano cheese, grated


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
  3. Add the chopped shallot and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add the flour and stir. Cook for about 1 minute.
  5. Slowly, stir in the chicken stock and cream.
  6. Add the Gruyere cheese and thyme. Stir until the cheese has melted.
  7. Season with salt and pepper.
  8. Add the potatoes and gently stir to coat the potatoes with the cheese mixture.
  9. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
  10. Remove the lid and transfer the potatoes to a oven safe dish.
  11. Sprinkle the Parmigiano cheese on top.
  12. Cook uncovered for about 30 to 35 minutes until the edges are bubbling.
  13. Let cool for 15 minutes
Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma.  
 Did you already know.................
-There are Bigfoot Field Researchers.
-Another name for Bigfoot is sasquatch which means "wild man".
-Bigfoot is purportedly to be native to the Pacific Northwest of North
America.

-The scientific community have no evidence of the existence of Bigfoot, sasquatch, or Yeti sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment