We love biscuits! My Dad would make biscuits for breakfast and serve it with gravy or syrup. My Dad is from the South and My Mom is from the North. My breakfast was like the best of both worlds. I didn't want gravy but maple syrup.
I would not recommend these biscuits for breakfast but supper/dinner. They have double the amount of cheddar. My children had at least two biscuits each. I served these with soup. The biscuits are hardy so if you have never made biscuits before then I recommend trying these biscuits.Double Cheddar Biscuits
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded sharp orange cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 to 1/4 cup buttermilk
- The rack needs to be in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cayenne.
- Add the shredded cheeses and incorporate well.
- Add the cold butter by rubbing the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mixture resembles oatmeal.
- Stir in the heavy cream and mix.
- Add a little of the buttermilk at a time and stir. The dough should be chunky and a little dry but not too dry if so add a little more buttermilk but you do not want sticky dough.
- Onto a lightly floured surface, turn the dough and begin to knead to form a cohesive dough.
- Roll the dough out to a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Dip a fork into flour and evenly prick holes over the dough.
- Take a round 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, cookie cutter, or glass and cut out the circle biscuits. Re-roll the left over dough and repeat cutting out additional biscuits.
- Place the biscuits onto the parchment paper spaced about 3 inches apart.
- Bake the biscuits for 16 minutes or until browned.
- Allow the biscuits to cool slightly before serving.
Did you already know............
-In America, biscuit is referred to a soft bread.
-In England, biscuit is a hard cookie or cracker.
-Biscuits have been around before Roman times.