Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Teriyaki beef

This is a recipe my family have been making since I was little. My parents would make it and place it on skewers to marinate. Then they would grill it. When you live in Hawaii or Guam, you can grill all the time. I live in Maine. We have a lot of snow. I could try talking my husband into taking out the grill to cook this recipe but I know it isn't going to happen. You could suggest for me to do it but I try to spend as much time outside in the cold as I can. I run from the house to the car and from the car to the store. Sometimes I even get lucky by talking someone into warming up the car for me. Aren't they sweet? 
So I had to adapt one of my favorite recipes for indoors. I am glad I did. I think we will be having this recipe more often now. I have used the marinade on chicken and it is great. My family received this recipe from a friend over 30 years ago so I can not give you where the recipe originated. 
Teriyaki Beef 
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 inch fresh ginger
1 scallion, chopped
1 lb steak, chicken, or any other desired item you want to marinate
1 tsp vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Add all the ingredients to a dish besides the lb of meat. Mix well so the brown sugar is incorporated. 
  2. Add the meat and marinate for 24 hours. 
  3. In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
  4. Add the meat and cook until cooked through. 
Recipe adapted from a family recipe.

Did you already know............
 -Guam is the largest island of the Mariana Island chain in the Northern Pacific Ocean.
-The tropical island of Guam is a US territory.
-Guam's motto is "Where America's Day Begins".
-45 % of Guam's population are the native people Chamorro.
-Guam is only 30 miles long.

No comments:

Post a Comment