Monday, January 14, 2013

Banana Bread Cookies

Since I have been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, I have been buying more bananas. Well, I like my bananas a little green. So when they are ripe, I don't want to eat them. I try talking the kids into eating them but they tell me maybe later. I realize it really means they won't be eating them either. Since I need to use them up somehow, I decided to make some banana bread. My son had no problem eating the banana bread and told me it was a healthy choice since there are bananas in it. I like his way of thinking. My daughter likes muffin tops so I figured I would attempt to make them with the banana batter. Well, the end result were more like cookies. Cookies are good and these cookies are too since they have banana in them, right? If you like banana bread, you will like these cookies.
 Banana Bread Cookies 1 1/2 cups sugar 1/2 cup butter, softened 2 eggs 4 bananas, mashed 1/2 cup buttermilk 1 tsp vanilla 3 cups all purpose flour 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cream sugar with the butter until well blended.
  3. Mix in the eggs and blend well.
  4. Add the bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
  5. Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt until combined. The batter should be thick if not add another Tbsp of flour.
  6. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. 
  7. Space the cookie batter about 3 inches apart.
  8. Bake the cookies about 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
  9. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from the Betty Crocker 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook.
Last year at this time..............I made Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
Did you already know....... 
-One banana has about 90 calories. 
-Bananas are a good source of potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, & fiber.
-Bananas are normally shipped green since they are easier to transport and not so fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment