Monday, January 7, 2013

Bran Banana Muffins

Did you make any New Year's Resolutions? Are you still keeping them? My resolutions are to eat more fruit and vegetables plus drink more water.
During the past holiday season, we were all sick so my main goal was to feel better. The flu season swept in like wild fire. When I was starting to feel better, my husband started to feel awful so our friend gave him some chest rub ointment to help with his breathing. So, I was applying the ointment to my husband's chest when my seven years old son walks into our room. He looks at us and asks what we are doing? I reply that I was helping Daddy grow more chest hair. My son pulls down the collar of his shirt and asked, "Can I have some too?" After I stopped laughing, I told him that it was medicine to help Dad breath better. Then my son informed us that he can't wait to grow a mustache. Why a mustache?
Bran Banana Muffins
2 cups All Bran cereal
1 cup skim milk
1 egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 overripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
Additional cereal and sugar for sprinkling on top

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together the cereal and milk. Allow to soak for 7 minutes. 
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and egg white until slightly frothy.
  5. Add the brown sugar, honey, oil, bananas, and vanilla extract.
  6. Pour the brown sugar mixture into the cereal mixture. Stir until combined.
  7. In another medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. 
  8. Add the flour mixture to the cereal mixture and stir until the flour has been combined about 15 strokes.
  9. Evenly divide the batter into the 12 muffin wrappers.
  10. Sprinkle each muffin with a little cereal and sugar on top.
  11. Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
  12. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from The Pastry Queen cookbook by Rebecca Rather. 

One year ago....................I made Lemon Frosted Cupcakes.
Did you already know...
-It is recommended for woman to eat 25 grams fiber a day.
-Men should be eating 30 grams a fiber a day.
Bran helps lower cholesterol and promotes good digestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment