Monday, September 2, 2013

Peach Scones

I like peaches but I am very particular about them. I like them fresh off the tree. I will occasionally buy the ones in the stores since they look so good but a lot of times they are misleading. They are hard so I've tried a number of tricks to get them ripen. I've tried just being patient. I've tried putting them in the paper bag trick. They always seem bruised when they finally reach the ultimate ripeness. I will admit I have a young son in the house who thinks his profession is to juggle especially fruit. I haven't caught him yet with peaches but one never knows. He is stealthy too especially when he thinks he needs to sharpen his ninja skills. These peaches are freshly picked. My children thought they were great.
Peach Scones about 15 to 18 scones
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar plus more for topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peaches, diced


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. In a food processor, process the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon for 30 seconds. 
  4. Add the butter to the food processor. Pulse for about 20 times.
  5. Add the peaches. Do not pulse.
  6. Slowly, add the milk while pulsing the food processor. Continue to pulse until the dough begins to stick together about 20 pulses.
  7. Place about 1/4 cup of dough onto the baking sheet. Leave about 3 inches space between each scone.
  8. Sprinkle the top of the scones with a little sugar.
  9. Bake the scones for about 14 minutes or until golden brown.
  10. Serve warm or eat within a few days. 
Recipe by Jen of Sweet Morris.

One year ago...............................I made Shortbread Cookies.
You are going to share, right?
Did you already know.................
-Peaches originated from China.
-White flesh peaches are lower acidic than the peach flesh peaches.
-There are two main types of peaches. Clingstone peaches have the flesh stick to the stone. Freestone peaches have the stone separate easily from the flesh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment