Monday, January 20, 2014

Baked Oatmeal

I received a bag of oats in my farm share. It wasn't a small bag. It was a bag of oats. What was I going to do with a bag of oats? I read if I put them into a food processor and pulse about 4 times then I would make quick cooking oats since they would be a little smaller in size. I figured I would make some oatmeal with it. I will disclose my children are not the biggest fan of oatmeal so they weren't very enthusiastic about this breakfast. They said they didn't like it. They stirred in more milk since they want their oatmeal creamy. Did this surprise me? No but I liked it. My husband loves oatmeal and he liked it so I figured I would share. It is an easy recipe and great for a cold morning.
Dotty's Baked Oatmeal
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
Optional: grated apple, cinnamon, or nuts

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease a baking dish with a nonstick cooking spray. 
  3. In a medium bowl, mix the oil, eggs, and sugar.
  4. Add the oats, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
  5. Stir in the milk and optional ingredients.
  6. Pour into the baking dish and bake for about 35 minutes. The oatmeal should be golden brown and firm to the touch.
  7. Serve immediately with fresh fruit and additional milk. 
Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Bread and Baking Book by Linda Collister & Anthony Blake.

One year ago.................................I made World Peace Cookies.
Two years ago...............................I made Banana Bread.
Did you already know....................
-January is Oatmeal Month.
-Oats are a whole grain since they usually still contain their bran and germ.
-To get a quicker cooking oats, the oats are steamed and flatten more.

No comments:

Post a Comment