Monday, February 24, 2014

Soup Bread Bowls

When I think of bread bowls, I always have images of Boston and San Francisco. I think of a hearty chowder in Boston or the wonderful sourdough bread in San Francisco. My husband told me that he thinks of Maine since he notices it at the local restaurants. When my oldest daughter came home to visit, her boyfriend asked for some lobster chowder. I figured I would make it in bread bowls. My youngest son thought this was the most awesomest thing ever. He could eat his soup and then the bowl. He loved it. 
Bread Bowls
5 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup dry milk
1 (1/4 oz.) package of instant yeast
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup warm water

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups all purpose flour with the white whole wheat flour, dry milk, yeast, salt, vegetable oil, and the warm water.
  2. Add 1/2 cup of all purpose flour until the dough is no longer too sticky.
  3. Knead the dough for 8 minutes until the dough is smooth.
  4. Allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes.
  5. Divide the dough into 5 balls.
  6. Place the dough onto a parchment lines baking sheet.
  7. Cover the dough with greased plastic wrap.
  8. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
  9. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
  10. Uncover and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
  11. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  12. Gently make several slashes on top of the bread.
  13. Bake the bread for 22 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow on the bottom if tapped.
  14. Allow the bread to cool before hollowing out the center for the soup. 
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour

One year ago....................................I made NY Style Cheesecake.
Two years ago..................................I made Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese.
Did you already know........................
-In 1630, Boston was founded by the English Puritans. 
-In 1636, Harvard University was founded.
-In 1716, the first lighthouse was built in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment