Monday, May 19, 2014

Flourless Cookies

Recently, my sister came to visit. Since she follows a gluten free diet, I wanted to make her some flourless cookies. Since it seemed like everyone was sick at the time, I postponed making the cookies. I'm unsure if all flourless chocolate desserts are very rich but I seem to pick them. My son loved them. My daughter thought they should have some powdered sugar dusting the tops. I thought they were plenty sweet. I think the addition of mini chocolate chips would have been good. If you want a chocolate, gooey fix, these are the cookies for you.
Flourless Fudge Cookies
2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1/4 cup special dark cocoa powder
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with nonstick baking spray. 
  3. In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. 
  5. Fold in the egg whites with the vanilla extract.
  6. Spoon about 1 Tbsp of batter onto the baking sheet. Flatten slightly on top.
  7. Bake the cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes until slightly shiny on top and crackly on top. 
  8. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet. 
Recipe adapted from King Arthur.

One year ago..................................I made Graduation Cap Cookies.
Two years ago................................I made Texas Pralines.
Did you already know...................
-Even foods that are naturally gluten free could have added gluten during processing like powdered sugar.
-Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley.
-Potatoes, corn, and rice are naturally gluten free foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment