Friday, August 8, 2014

Blueberry Muffins

I can't get enough of blueberry muffins especially when they are in season. Yes, here is another one for you to try.  I guess some people may have this problem with chocolate chip cookies but with me it is blueberry muffins. They taste so good when they are nice and warm. Also, the kids help me bake the muffins which I think is the best part. These muffins have a nice subtle taste. They aren't too sweet but just enough sweetness to counter the berries. Normally, I double the amount of berries but I couldn't today. My daughter told me that she found a worm in one of her berries so I should throw them all out. (I picked the berries myself so I guess I must have brought home a friend with the berries.)I made a deal with her if we cut open three berries and there were no worms then I could use the berries. After cutting open four berries, no worms were found. Any berries that were soft and not perfect were discarded. My daughter was happy and she ate her blueberry muffin. These muffins even taste good the next day.
Blueberry Muffins (Makes 20 muffins)

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
6 oz. butter, melted and cooled
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking poder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, lemon zest, and eggs.
  5. With a fork, stir in the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture until just blended.
  6. Gently, fold in the blueberries. 
  7. Evenly distribute the batter into the paper liners filling them almost full.
  8. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe by Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook.

One year ago...............................I made Snickerdoodle Cookies.
Two years ago.............................I made Victoria Sandwich Cake.
Did you already know.................
-Blueberries grow on bushes in clusters.
-Blueberries are native to America.
-To prepare for winter, Native Americans would smoke blueberries to preserve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment