Monday, August 25, 2014

Travel: Botanical Gardens

Before we went to the botanical gardens, I told the kids that I wanted them to learn one new plant's name and be able to describe the plant. During our visit, I would ask them if they had their plant and they told me they did. Not once did I ask my husband if he was going to do the game too. Well, he surprised me. When we were heading home, I asked the kids and they did very good. They named and described a plant for me. Then my husband named at least five plants. I told him I was impressed and he told me it was because he knew I would be asking. Plus he wanted to show up the kids. He won the game since I couldn't have named as many as he did without looking at my photos.
We decided to visit the botanical gardens since I wanted to bring my sister and the girls there. I was lucky to have chaperon my son on a field trip a couple of years ago. My husband had never been either. 
Throughout the gardens, there are these gigantic sculptors. The kids had a little fun with them like this fish attacking my daughter. The kids had fun saving her.
The gardens have paths through the woods which overlook the coast. There is a waterfall and wooden bridges. One of my favorite parts of the botanical gardens is the kids section. The kids sections resemble children's books like Peter Rabbit and stories by Robert McCloskey like Blueberries for Sal. There is a bear cave and a fairy garden for the kids to visit.
The kids can pretend to be part of the children's books like my son dressed up like a fisherman from the book Burt Dow Deep-Water Man.
Of course, the best part is all the beautiful flowers and immaculate landscape. My husband asked if we could have a yard like this place. I wish!
Did you already know........................
-In 2007, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens opened.
-It took over 16 years of preparation to make the botanical gardens.
-The Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens comprises of 270 acres of tidal shoreline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment